12 September 2009

Nazare, the old town

6th September we returned to Nazare, the old town that is , not the beach area although you cannot escape it!

021 022 018 019

020

The old town stands on top of the cliffs affording magnificent views. The Church is small and gives no clue to the truly magnificent interier. The many arches and the ceiling in it’s entirety, is covered in leaf gold. Coaches were lined up in the narrow streets as they brought hoards of people to the Church and the sights. Picture taking was not allowed in the Church which is understandable, however, what is not understandable is that know one sold them, despite postcards being sold, by dozens of gift shops. It seems that you have to be there to appreciate the the lavish decorations, unless every one had sold out?

023 024

016 007

We waited a good half hour in a queue for lunch, we figured it must be good? Once seated we were served with our choice off the menu, fish stew! Yes I know it was a bit risky but we both felt a bit adventuress, and when in Rome? A huge steel pan arrived an hour later, was it worth waiting for, no, but we have now tasted every shell fish known to man, and a good selection of seaweed. When we had finished, two huge pans went back! Mary hides her face in shame as she is compensated by a “LARGE PUD”.

014

The next day we rested, I replaced a broken cover on the electrical connection box. Nothing of a job really but it took me a couple of hours as the Blo#:Y thing wouldn't fit as I had bought the wrong type, I had to make it fit as I had removed the old one before checking!! Idiot.

001 006

Later that day an English couple said hello, Mary invited them to join us for coffee the following morning which was fine except they had a dog!!!! Those who know me, would but for the photos, disbelieve me when I explain that good manners overcame me when the thing leapt into the MH. They called it Diesel, which is a volatile name to give a dog. I gave it some live matches play with, but the thing kept cool? (kidding Jane) We wish them luck as they have come property hunting and will give up their home in the UK. The dog doesn't look two happy about the prospect. I on the other hand, Bob & Jane can’t wait.