5 May 2010

A long journey

4th May didn’t start well, after saying good buy to Peter and Anny, a Dutch couple we met, we expected to follow them off the site, but it was not to be. The starter battery was flat. I don’t no why? After starting, using jump leads from the domestic batteries a warning light told me that the battery was not being charged. We set off anyway, and after an hour we pulled into a garage for fuel. I didn’t dare not stop the engine, but after nosing under the bonnet I found a blown fuse. Up up and away, the warning light went out and we set off again for Alpha Getafe (Madrid) camp site without any further bother. Entering Madrid was no fun but Mr Garmin was cool!!

There are so many new motorways being built in Spain, maps & Mr Garmin have a job to keep up, however, this motorway from Jaen to Madrid is dreadful and in urgent need of repair, which added discomfort to our long journey. 

From this busy traffic island you could see the entrance to the site.

gefafe 001     gefafe 004          

 gefafe 005

gefafe 006

I was too tired to cook that night so we decided to eat at the site restaurant.

123 003

I choose fillet of beef, but when it arrived it turned out to be a huge slice of beef liver, almost covering the plate. I eat half, and it was quite tasty, but enough is enough. Half way through the meal our silence dashed suddenly by a 100 or so youngsters who were on holiday from a school, the quiet dinning room exploded with chatter as they streamed in. After I had finished my meal I asked the youngsters at the next table, where had they come from?  They were eager to practice their English on me, I gave up trying to hear or understand them, as too many were talking, no shouting, at least 20 of them, all at the same time. I waved my arms in despair and returned to my table which brought histerical laughter from all. They were in high spirits and it was great to be amongst them for a while.

123 002 

I thought this site would be a handy place to stay, being on the inner ring road to Madrid, which I’m sure has much to offer the tourist. We were told not to attempt the drive to the city, but, to first take a bus and then the tube to the centre. It was too much hassle so we decided to stay the night and move on the next day.